The Phonetic Key Home Page
As you probably know, phonetic symbols are a great help when it comes to learning to pronounce medical terms, phrases or words correctly. Any time you open a dictionary, you can find the correct pronunciation of words you don't know by looking at the phonetic pronunciation that follows the word.
As you will see from some of the examples, the phonetic alphabet seems like another language entirely. With practice it can serve you well in improving your pronunciation of terms. This will prove to be of value when you have a doctors appointment, by knowing and familiarizing yourself with correct spellings and pronunciation.
æ ask, bat, glad
ɑ cot, bomb, caught, paw
ɛ bet, fed
ə about, banana, collide
i very, any, thirty
i: eat, bead, bee
ɪ id, bid, pit
ʊ foot, should, put
u: boot, two, coo
ʌ under, putt, bud
ɚ merge, bird, further
eɪ eight, wade, bay
aɪ ice, bite, tie
aʊ out, gown, plow
oɪ oyster, coil, boy
oʊ oat, own, zone, blow
ɑɚ car, heart, bizarre
eɚ bare, fair, wear
iɚ near, deer, mere, pier
oɚ boar, port, door, shore
uɚ boor, tour, insure
ɒ British cot, bomb
ɔ British caught, paw, port
ə: British merge, bird
əʊ British oat, own, zone, blow
ɪə British near, deer
ɛə British bare, fair
ʊə British boor, tour
Phonetic Alphabet Rules
1. In English the consonants l, and n, often convey complete syllables by themselves. Regional pronunciations of -or- vary.
2. In the following pairs, words such as for, four; horse, hoarse; and morning, mourning, the vowel varies between (ô) and (ō).
3. In this reference of words vowels are represented as follows: for (fôr), four (fôr, fōr); horse (hôrs), hoarse (hôrs, hōrs); and morning (môr′ning), mourning (môr′ning, mōr′-).
4. Other words for which both forms are shown include more, glory, and borne. A similar variant occurs in words such as coral, forest, and horrid, where the pronunciation of o, before r, varies between (ô) and (ŏ). In these words the (ôr) pronunciation is given first: forest (fôr′ist, fŏr′-).
5. Uses of ⁿ are to reflect that the preceding vowel is nasalized.
1. Pathology - The study of the changes caused by disease
in the structure or functions of the body
2. Erythropoiesis - Production of red blood cells
3. Cystoscopy - Visual examination of the urinary bladder
using a cystoscope
4. Arteriosclerosis - A group of diseases characterized by thickening and loss of elasticity of arterial walls
5. Angiography - Radiographic visualization of vessels of
6. Hyperemesis - Excessive vomiting
7. Splenorrhagia - Hemorrhage from the spleen
8. Dyspnea - Difficult breathing
Exercise words continued below...
9. Pharyngeal - pertaining to the throat
10. Hemoptysis - The spitting of blood or blood stained sputum
11.Tachyphagia - Fast speech
12. Enterostasis - The stopping of food in its passage through the intestine
13. Colopexy - Surgical fixation or suspension of the colon
14. Gingivitis - Inflammation of the gums
15. Esophagomalacia - Softening of the esophagus
16. Myolysis - Destruction of muscle tissue
17. Cephalometry - measurement of the dimensions of the head
18. Anesthetist - A nurse or technician trained to administer anesthetics
19. Laryngopathy - Any disease of the larynx
20. Oophorosalpingectomy - Surgical removal of an ovary and uterine tube
21. Dysmenorrhea - Painful menstruation
22. Orchitis - Inflammation of a testis.
23. Osteitis - Inflammation of a bone
24. Costectomy - Removal of a rib
25. Ischialgia - Pain of the ischium
26. Dactylitis - inflammation of a finger or toe
27. Chondral - Pertaining to cartilage
28. Neurotripsy - surgical crushing of a nerve
29. Intracranial - Within the skull
30. Schizophrenia - A mental disorder or group of disorders
31. Dacryolithiasis - Formation of tear stones
32. Otalgia - Pain in the ear; earache
33. Onychomycosis - A disease of the nails caused by a fungus
34. Ureteropathy - Any disease of the ureter
35. Hypercalcemia - An increased level of calcium in the blood
36. Cholecystitis - Inflammation of the gallbladder
The modification date for all health, and medical content on this page was last updated, and checked on April 12th, 2018 PST U.S.A.